We held virtual auditions on January 28, 2021. Watch our website for the next opportunity to try out the Choristers, and if auditions will be virtual or in person. Thank you for your interest!
Thank you for your interest in auditioning for the Choristers! We are committed to providing guidance and support to help you successfully navigate the virtual audition process from start to finish, and we are happy to answer your questions to help you feel comfortable and confident approaching your virtual audition!
Please read the general “audition tips” below regarding preparation and general expectations AND please note the following:
- Appointments to audition virtually are required – please call 414-339-1389 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. (Audition slots will be available as usual between 7:15 and 9:30 pm and shall take place live in real time with the Director on audition night.)
- We will send you the Membership Application via email and will need to receive your completed application (via email, in person or drop off – flexible and TBD) prior to the date of auditions.
- You may choose either Skype or Zoom for your audition, based upon your personal preference and/or comfort level. You will be asked to specify your platform preference and provide necessary contact details accordingly upon confirmed scheduling of your audition. The Director will initiate the audition at your scheduled time by calling or contacting you as appropriate.
- The sight-singing piece for your audition will be sent to you via email attachment for easy access and viewing on your device during your audition.
Please do not hesitate to call or email us at email@example.com with questions. We look forward to meeting you!
The Choristers hold new member auditions in August and December at Wauwatosa Avenue United Methodist Church (1529 Wauwatosa Avenue), where we rehearse Wednesday evenings from 7:15 until 9:45 p.m. Tenors and basses are particularly encouraged to audition.
- Appointments are recommended and can be made by calling (414) 354-1933 or e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Walk-ins will also be welcome on audition nights and will be heard in between appointments as the schedule permits.
- Your audition will take place in private with our conductor, Dr. James B. Kinchen, Jr.
- You must be a high school graduate or at least 18 years old.
- No prepared material is necessary.
- Past choral experience, with a basic ability to read choral sheet music, will be extremely helpful. You will be asked to sing a familiar song and sight-sing a simple melody.
- Vocalizing while on your way to auditions and while waiting for your turn is encouraged. We begin every rehearsal with several minutes of warm-up.
- Members of the choir will be on hand to greet you and answer any questions you may have.
- You’ll receive background information about the chorus, including our rehearsal attendance policy, a schedule of activities, and an explanation of what is expected of chorus members (e.g. ticket selling, participation in fundraising activities, leadership or committee involvement).
- You’ll be asked to fill out an information form.
- You’ll be notified within a day or two of your audition as to whether you have been accepted into the chorus. If accepted, you will be responsible for annual dues of $100 plus costuming. Men are required to wear a black tuxedo with white shirt. Women will purchase a black performance dress through the choir that costs between $60 and $80, depending on size and length.
- Good luck!