Next auditions: August 2019
The Choristers hold new member auditions in August and January at Wauwatosa Avenue United Methodist Church (1529 Wauwatosa Avenue), where we rehearse Wednesday evenings from 7:15 until 9:45 p.m. Tenors and basses are particularly encouraged to audition.
- Appointments are recommended and can be made by calling (414) 354-1933 or e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Walk-ins will also be welcome on audition nights and will be heard in between appointments as the schedule permits.
- Your audition will take place in private with our conductor, Dr. James B. Kinchen, Jr.
- You must be a high school graduate or at least 18 years old.
- No prepared material is necessary.
- Past choral experience, with a basic ability to read choral sheet music, will be extremely helpful. You will be asked to sing a familiar song and sight-sing a simple melody.
- Vocalizing while on your way to auditions and while waiting for your turn is encouraged. We begin every rehearsal with several minutes of warm-up.
- Members of the choir will be on hand to greet you and answer any questions you may have.
- You’ll receive background information about the chorus, including our rehearsal attendance policy, a schedule of activities, and an explanation of what is expected of chorus members (e.g. ticket selling, participation in fundraising activities, leadership or committee involvement).
- You’ll be asked to fill out an information form.
- You’ll be notified within a day or two of your audition as to whether you have been accepted into the chorus. If accepted, you will be responsible for annual dues of $100 plus costuming. Men are required to wear a black tuxedo with white shirt. Women will purchase a black performance dress through the choir that costs between $60 and $80, depending on size and length.
- Good luck!